Sunday, May 25, 2008

Turning My Back on Pyrolympics 2008

Early yesterday, things were calm, peaceful and great. But when my sister wanted me to go the Mall of Asia to meet with them, that was when the pandemonium started. It seemed like all of Manila was there. It turns out, it was the fourth night of the 2008 World Pyro Olympics, or Pyrolympics for short. It's a fireworks competition that goes from supposedly 6pm to 8pm but an insider told me when I was there that it's from 7pm to 9pm. Probably because summer is already here and we have longer days.

The best ways to watch it is by either watching from a skyscraper in Makati or Manila, a hotel near Manila Bay, or going to the SM Mall of Asia. When at the mall, you can pay PHP150 to watch from the ground floor, but there are no seats and there can be quite a throng there. Another way is to "reserve" tables at the veranda restaurants that face the bay; but the restaurants mostly offer "set menus" that can from PHP700-1,000. It's a good deal in a way, but a little expensive for me. Kind of. You can reserve by going to the tables near the areas marked "Reservation Desks" near the seaside area at the Entertainment Center.

I didn't watch it last night. It was too chaotic for me, a little too disorganized and expensive. Besides, I had to rush home to catch the Great King Sejong on KBS World. But if you're into this, do plan for it and go. The fireworks can be quite nice, I saw it once while traveling to the airport.

The last night of the Pyrolympics will be on May 31, 2008 (Saturday) and I believe it will be France vs. Philippines. Happy gazing.

No comments: